I’m sure you have heard the buzz of generative AI (artificial intelligence) and ChatGPT by now. Generative AI is a tool or system that allows you to enter prompts to receive AI-generated images, text content, programming code, social media posts, and much more.
There are several generative AI tools to choose from. Here are a few of them.
- Microsoft Bing Chat
- Google Bard
- GitHub CoPilot (for coders)
- Stability Ai (text-to-image tool)
- MidJourney (text-to-image tool)
In this article, I will focus on ChatGPT.
OpenAI created ChatGPT and trained it using tons of internet text. It learned how to produce text responses as if coming from a human. For example, you could ask ChatGPT to generate a list of ideas for an outline for a book about baking a cake and more. It is indeed seemingly magical.
Generative Ai tools allow anyone to be more creative in areas they may not be proficient in, e.g., a non-artist using generative AI to create a beautiful image.
But what does generative AI have to do with you? Why should you care? There are many use cases for generative AI. Let me give you some ideas.
- Writing Assistance: ChatGPT can help you write stories, articles, or emails. Tell ChatGPT what you want by creating well developed prompts, and it will produce content for you. You could ask for content for an email, proposal, message, etc.
- Language Translation: Use generative AI to translate content into a different language. Perhaps you are working on content that has a phrase you would like to include in a different language, like French. Tell ChatGPT to translate a phrase into French, for example and it will.
- Coding Assistance: If you’re a programmer or work in IT, you can use ChatGPT to generate code snipes or scripts, e.g., Python code or PowerShell scripts).
- Assistance for Authors: Use generative AI to create an outline or title, chapters, or general ideas for a new book.
- Cooking assistance: Want to make a chocolate cake or a sauce for a dish you are making? Ask ChatGPT or another generative AI tool.
Your imagination is the limit. However, the key to using any generative AI tool is effective prompts, i.e., your input. The better your information, the better the response. Imagine describing what you want to a person. That is how you should think when using generative AI tools.